Monday, May 18, 2009

Another Weekend... Another Fun Family Wedding

Destination: Columbus, Ohio.

So, yeah. This was wedding number 3 of 8 in 2009. We love it, though. Weddings are so much fun. You get to hang out with friends and family, eat very tasty food and maybe, just maybe... have a couple beers. Heheh.

Anyway, we got up early Saturday morning and headed west to Columbus. It was a rainy drive, but an easy one. We arrived in town around noon. The wedding wasn't until 6:30, so we'd planned on having a nice lunch and doing a little shopping. We headed to a gigantic, outdoor shopping village called Easton. We had lunch at the best chain restaurant in the history of the world... the Cheesecake Factory (stop laughing). And yeah, I had a piece of oreo cookie cheesecake. Can ya blame a brother? We then stopped in at Crate and Barrel and Trader Joes. We picked up some organic pasta and some "Two Buck Chuck". I'll blog more about "Two Buck Chuck" later.

Our bellies were full and so was the back of our Jeep, so we headed to our hotel in downtown Columbus. It was only 2 pm and we couldn't check in until 4. Luckily we ran into my aunt and uncle in the hotel lobby. They invited us up to their room while we waited for our room to be prepared. It was a great chance to chat and catch up with them while helping prepare some wedding favors and stealing cookies.

6:30 rolled around and we waltzed downstairs to the Scarlet and Grey Room for the wedding. It gave me the heebeejeebees to enter a room named for THE (barf) Ohio State University, but it was all good. There wasn't a hint of scarlet or grey anywhere. I kid, I kid! So anyway, after a little bit of camera confusion, the wedding started. My cousin looked great in her wedding dress and her husband-to-be was smiling from ear to ear. My uncle performed the ceremony and badaboom badabing, they were married.

The reception was in the same room as the wedding. So, for the next 2 or 3 hours, we danced, chatted, ate some quality food (I was extremely fond of the crabcakes) and had a few drinks. The afterparty was upstairs in the bride's suite. We just kinda sat around and relaxed. I got a chance to hang out with my grandfather and talk about old cars and his days as a kid living "up Osage"... something I hadn't done in a while and glad I got the opportunity to do. Slowly but surely people grew tired and headed back to their rooms to crash. I lasted until about 3:30 am (3 hours longer than my wife... heheh). After the fourth time I stuck my arm in the cheesecake sitting on the counter, I figured it was time to call it a night. Side note --- I just looked at my sport coat and it still has cheesecake on it.

We got up Sunday morning and helped everyone get organized and packed. It was time for brunch! We headed to the 94th Aero Squadron next to the Columbus airport. Here's a link: It was an interesting place. There were pictures, memorabilia and signs from WWI and WWII everywhere. I even learned that people in the military call the bathroom a "latrine." We had waffles, smoked salmon, garlic mashed potatoes and homemade macaroni and cheese. All-in-all, it was a great brunch. And most importantly, it allowed the entire family to hang out for an extra couple of hours.

After brunch we said our goodbyes and made our return trip to Charleston. It was an enjoyable weekend and like I've said before, I can't wait to do it again.


  1. Say, you are a pretty good writer! -retired English teacher

  2. Welp L.C. - I also attended the wedding. We had a great time and your account is pretty dead on. I would consider the hard work of the immediate fams as a job well done towards making the event so successful. As they say in the down south newspapers reporting social events: "A good time was had by all." Personally, I'm so thankful I had a fork full of cheesecake prior to your elbow action. A.