Monday, August 23, 2010

Pies

I've always wanted to bake a pie, and well, today I did.


A few weeks ago I saw Paula Dean make a key lime pie that looked absolutely outstanding. I've had key lime pie before and I didn't really like it. It was way too bitter for my chocolate loving taste buds. But I figured if Paula made it, it's gotta be good. So I went for it...





I had a blast making it. I thought it was especially cool how the egg whites combined with a little sugar made the meringue. Unfortunately, the meringue combined with the condensed milk in the filling makes the pie far too sweet. Plus, it's a little watery. If any of you all think you can do a better job, here's the recipe... link.


Fail.


On the bright side, though, I made a second pie... chocolate pie. And it was sooooo easy. All it took was some milk, pie crust, chocolate pudding and Cool Whip. Just combine the 4 and voila... chocolate pie.





Creamy and chocolaty. Here's the recipe for this one... link.


Succeed.


Who wants pie? I'm gonna need some help eating it since Mrs. Little Cat doesn't like anything sweet.



Oh, and by the way, I know there are a lot of C/cooks that read this blog. Do any of you have any pointers on the key lime? I'd love to hear 'em!

2 comments:

  1. After a night in the fridge... the key lime pie solidified and tastes much better cold!


    Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete