Monday, October 5, 2009

Syracuse



I know, I know... the video quality is terrible. It's more like a slideshow than a video, but any true Mountaineer fan will be able to tell you exactly what they're seeing. That's the 1992 WVU - Syracuse brawl. Late in the 4th quarter Syracuse trailed WVU by a score of 17-13. Syracuse QB Marvin Graves (#5) turned an option play up the right sideline and eventually out-of-bounds. WVU defensive back Tommy Orr (#24) hit him after he'd left the field of play. Marvin Graves wasn't happy with Orr's little bump and fired the football off the back of Orr's helmet. A brawl ensued. Orr and two other WVU defensive starters were ejected from the game and the Mountaineers were penalized an ungodly amount of yards. Syracuse, however, had one player ejected... a back-up offensive lineman (rolling my eyes). Anyway, Marvin Graves remained in the game and led Syracuse to the game winning score against WVU's depleted defense only minutes later. WVU lost the game 20-17. That was a serious pisser.

Syracuse has struggled recently and WVU has beaten them 7 straight years. Sometimes I begin to feel sorry for these guys and then I think of Marvin Graves. That's why I won't feel bad for Syracuse this Saturday. I hope WVU wipes the floor with these guys and wins by 70.

Hopefully Marvin Graves will be watching as the Mountaineers squeeze the pulp out of his precious Orange.

I'm not bitter or anything.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the SAME way - I start to feel bad for them and then I remember that game, and I think - they can beat someone else!!!

    Let's GOOOO Mountaineers!!!!

    ReplyDelete