Friday, January 22, 2010

Sports, Pizza, Sports and More Sports

I know. I know. I haven't written much over the last couple weeks, and these pictures pretty much illustrate why. Last Saturday evening we attended the Harlem Globetrotters' annual beat-down of the Washington Generals at the Charleston Civic Center. I've seen their performances a number of times, so it wasn't a surprise that they were so funny. They get pretty silly and it's a great show for the young and old. I couldn't help but to root a little for the Generals, though. I love the underdogs.

Monday was Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Fortunately both the wife and I had the day off. We took advantage of the time and headed east to Fayetteville, WV for some Pies and Pints. We split a pizza. My wife ordered the Mozzarella Caprese Pie. It had fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil and balsamic reduction sauce. It was pretty solid, but it didn't come close to the solidarity of my choice... the Thai Pie. That bad boy included shrimp, toasted coconut, thai curry sauce with cilantro and basil... perhaps the best 1/2 pizza of all time. And, of course, I washed my Thai Pie down with a Rogue Dead Guy Ale draught. Can it get any better?

Pies and Pints is outstanding. I know I've mentioned it before, but our second visit was far superior to our first. I credit most of that to the best pizza of all time: The Thai Pie. Now, only if we could get our Nutrisystem meals to taste like pad Thai or yellow curry with rice, we'd be set.

Tuesday evening we attended the "Backyard Brawl on Ice." WVU defeated Pitt 2-0 at the South Charleston Memorial Ice Arena. I was slightly amazed by the turnout at the rink. I had no idea the people of Charleston knew what a hockey puck was. You certainly couldn't tell last year when the Penguins were winning the Stanley Cup. But hey, at least they showed up and gave their support.
Wednesday evening brought us the Capital Classic. This is the annual game between WVU and Marshall held at the Charleston Civic Center. I support this game because the WVU basketball team plays over 30 games a year. Unlike in football, it doesn't hurt to throw our little brother to the south a bone. I'd almost consider it a rivalry. Sure, sure, WVU plays not to lose while Marshall plays for respect, but once the ball tips, it gets a little crazy. Credit goes to the fans. It's a playoff like atmosphere that can't be matched in either Morgantown or Huntington. Sorry WVU fans, the Coliseum is nice, but it doesn't get crazy very often.

Anyway, WVU defeated Marshall for the fourth year in a row on Wednesday. Marshall put up a valiant fight in their 67-60 loss. They've improved and I'm certain next year's Capital Classic will be even more interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Got any more photos of the WVU vs Pitt Hockey Game for those of us in NJ who were not able to go?

    SJSCHL@COMCAST.NET

    ReplyDelete